Problem: Recently I dug out my old Nikon D70 to take some pics on holiday. When I connected it to my Mac (OS X v10.8.4) via the USB cable, Image Capture fired-up as expected, but when I tired to Import them I got an error stating that Image Capture was unable to import the RAW images.
Solution: It turns out that the USB mode needs to be ‘M’ now, (Mass Storage Device Mode). To set this:
- Press ‘Menu’ on the D70 (after disconnecting it from the Mac.
- On the far left of the menu, select the spanner icon to enter the ‘Settings’ sub-menu.
- In the Settings menu, scroll up/down to get to the ‘USB’ setting.
- Enter the USB setting, and set it to ‘M’ rather than ‘P’ (Picture Transfer Protocol).
- Reconnect the USB cable, and the images should now import ok.