Vacuum hose tee and better routing on the GT6

Problem: The routing of the vacuum hose on the GT6 is a bit poo. Actually I don’t know what it was like from the factory, but most engine bays I’ve seen recently have it draped around the rocker cover or across it, and that can lead to problems.

Solution: I wanted to fix the hose to one of the rocker shaft studs as a more secure solution but couldn’t find a suitable hose clamp with an appropriate drilling. Hence this:

Step one: Source a small brass tee, 4mm O.D, and some nitrile rubber hose to suit (eBay for both, £5 delivered).

Step two: Find something to clamp to the stud that can be bonded to the tee. I found that a solder terminal for an earth strap worked quite well.

Step three: Some two-part epoxy adhesive like Araldite does the trick. Here I used their ‘Rapid Steel’ offering which comes out looking a little like metal and is good for bonding most metals.

Step four: Fill the terminal with enough mixed-up adhesive to not spill out when the tee is pressed into it.

Step five: Press the tee into the terminal, making sure that it’s level and straight.

Step six: Support the items until they set. For Araldite Rapid this needed 45 mins undisturbed. For non-rapid types I believe it’s 24h.

Step seven: Fit to the engine! Happy with this. The tee holds the hose just clear of the rocker cover, and the short hose lengths either side don’t allow it to droop on the manifolds.

Was this useful?
Nope, not helpful...Yep, more useful than not! (No Ratings Yet)
Loading...

Vacuum advance hose fix with WD40 nozzle

Problem: On a trip home from North Wales, the vacuum hose in my GT6 came loose and fell on the exhaust, melting and fusing it. Nasty sluggish acceleration  resulted.

Solution: I had no tools besides a knife and no spare hose, but DID have a small can of WD40 in the boot.  Continue reading “Vacuum advance hose fix with WD40 nozzle”

GT6 / Spitfire DIY alternator bracket improvement

Problem: Years back when I first did an alternator conversion on the GT6 the very rudimentary ‘pull it hard and tighten the nut’ fan belt tensioning method really annoyed me. It seemed there should be a way to achieve finite adjustment, and not risk noisy, slack or dangerously tight belt tension.

Solution: I don’t remember where now, but somewhere I saw a rigging screw (sometimes called a Turnbuckle). They are available in a load of sizes, lengths and materials from chandlers (sailing suppliers). So I used one of these to solve the problem. I then went on to sell them for a while on eBay under the name Mere Components. Continue reading “GT6 / Spitfire DIY alternator bracket improvement”

Homemade Triumph GT6 seat base diaphragm

Problem: Both rubber diaphragms under my Triumph GT6 (mk1) seats were shot, no longer able to support the seat base cushion squab thing.

Ripped and perished rubber seat diaphragm

 

Solution: Whilst these diaphragms are available (well, Mini ones are and they look pretty similar) I don’t want to spend £70 on a pair of new ones. Wife had an old summer wetsuit she didn’t want which looked perfect!

Continue reading “Homemade Triumph GT6 seat base diaphragm”

Remove pistons from brake calipers without fluid/tools

Project: I want to restore my old GT6 brake calipers and the old chipped paint us very VERY tough so I plan to use paint stripper. To do this without harming the seals and soft alloys I need to split each caliper and remove pistons.

Problem: The pistons are stuck in, and will only come out under pressure. Continue reading “Remove pistons from brake calipers without fluid/tools”

Resize a U Bolt properly without heating

Problem: When re-fitting the ARB to the GT6 with new U Bolts, I found the new ones were too wide, and forcing them in would have resulted the badly seated washers and nuts:

Old and new U Bolts
Old and new U Bolts, too dissimilar

Fix: The new U Bolts could be bent to shape in a metalworking vice, but there’s an easy way to make sure they remain parallel:

Putting the U Bolt in the Vice
Put the U Bolt in the Vice and protect the threads a little
Find something exactly the inside-size of the old U Bolt
Find something exactly the inside-size of the old U Bolt
Tighten the new U Bolt against the chosen spacer
Tighten the new U Bolt against the chosen spacer
Keep checking against the old item until it's correct
Keep checking against the old item until it’s correct
Once it's right, note the flats are still perfectly parallel
Once it’s right, note the flats are still perfectly parallel